Nurses procedure in straightening of broken bones or treatment or relief of patients with skin injury ailment in their medical facilities or hospital.
APPLICATION OF SKELECTAL TRACTION
Requirement needed on a Trolley: Top shelf
- A bowl with sterile dressing
- Instrument tray with cover containing: a pair of dissecting forceps and 2 pairs of dressing forceps (if wound dressing is necessary)
- Galipot with lotion
- Small bowl for resting forceps
- A tray containing: modesty pant, bottles of lotion e.g TBC or tincture of Benzoic compound
- A stirrup traction cord
- A kidney dish with the following: a pair of surgical scissors, flannel bandage, strapping, and safety pins.
- Destructor bowl for used dressing
- Large kidney dish for used instrument.
- Shave, wash, and dry the affected limb.
- Accompany client to theatre.
- Insertion of stein man’s pin is carried out under local anesthesia.
- As client comes back from theatre with stein man’s pin in position adequate assistance should be provided to lift him or her into the bed.
- Put brains splint under the affected limb maintaining a steady gently pull.
- Assist the doctor to put up the skeletal traction.
- Attach recommended weight.
- Elevate the foot of the bed.
- Make divided bed.
- Put everything the client may need with his/her reach.
- Make him/her comfortable.
APPLICATION OF SKIN TRACTION
Requirements on a Trolley
- A bowl containing cotton wool swabs and gauze.
- Instrument tray with a pair of dissecting forceps, and a pair of dressing forceps.
- Galipot for TBC (Tincture of Benzoic Compound).
- Small bowl for resting forceps.
- Tray containing the following:
- Traction kit of a tin of extension plaster
- Crepe and flannel bandages
- Orthopedic belt
- Ball and traction cord
- Modesty dish containing
- Kidney dish containing
- Kidney dish containing
- 2 or more wooden spreader
- Tape measure
- Wooden spatula
- Safety pains
- Large kidney receiver for used instrument.
- Destructor bowl for used swabs weight.
- Padded Thomas splint
- Bed elevator/blocks
- Explain the procedure
- Shave wash and dry the effected limb
- Screen the bed
- Take trolley the client’s bedside
- With enough assistance put client in recumbent position
- Alley anxiety
- Dress the Thomas splint with strips of flannel, bandage and safety pins.
- Assists doctor to apply the skin traction
- Attach appropriate weight
- Elevate foot on bed elevator to provide counter tracts
- Ensure the weight is not resting on anything
- Make client comfortable during and after the procedure
- Discard the trolley in the treatment room