Nurses adminsiter blood transfusion in medical facilities or hospitals using the following blood transfusion methods described below to prepare or take care of patients as to receive blood via the vein to their circulation intravenously.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR BLOOD TRANSFUSION
- Blood-Grouped and cross matched.
- Blood form for identifying, blood group, bag number, etc.
- Blood book for crosschecking blood group and expiratory date placed on bottom shelf of trolley.
- Sterile blood for transfusion.
HOW TO CARRRY OUT A BLOOD TRANSFUSION:
- Explain procedure to client.
- Wash and dry hands.
- Take trolley to client’s bedside.
- Expose the part of the limb to be used.
- Place treatment plastic in position to protect the bed.
- Hang up the blood bag.
- Open the lids of the sterile bowls.
- Pour out cleansing lotion.
- Open the lids of unsterile bowl.
- Cut open the bag of the blood giving set.
- Give sterile giving set to doctor who fixes it to infusion blood bag and expel air from the apparatus.
- Place tourniquet /sphygmomanometer in position to make the vein more visible.
- Assist doctor when necessary.
- Offer strapping to secure the cannula; bandage “splint” may be used to keep the cannula in position if patient is restless.
- Regulate the flow rate of the infusion.
- Make client comfortable during and after the procedure.
- Patient’s vital sign should be observed before, during and after blood transfusion.
NOTE: If blood has to follow intravenous infusion, it is preferable to
use blood giving set from the onset but a “Y” giving set is
preferred if available.
MEASURES TAKEN BY THE NURSE DURING BLOOD TRANSFUSION:
During blood transfusion the nurse monitors and observes the patient. During blood transfusion, the nurse observes for any adverse reaction then clips off the infusion, observes the patient and then takes vital signs and records.
Requirement for blood transfusion in a tray:
- Bowl or container with the blood.
- Blood transfusion set or blood giving set.
- Sterile swabs in a covered galipot.
- A bottle of cleansing lotion (spirit).
- Vital signs equipments i.e. B/P apparatus and thermometer in a jar with lotion.
- Plaster stripping and scissors.
- A polythene for protection of the bed clothes.